Arkoma School District is a proud and appreciative recipient of the Innovative Approaches to Literacy Grant.
"Reading is the most fundamental academic skill our children need to master to become successful in school and in life, said U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. "Access to books and proven literacy instruction are critical to narrowing the achievement gap in education to help children thrive."
The literacy grants support high-quality programs that are research based and focus on the following:
- Increasing access to a wide range of literacy resources that prepare young children to read.
- Providing high-quality childhood literacy activities with meaningful opportunities for parental engagement, including encouraging parents to read books often with their children in their early years of life and school, and teaching parents how to use literacy resources effectively.
- Strengthening literacy development across academic content areas by providing a wealth of literacy resources spanning a range of both complexity and content to effectively support reading and writing.
- Offering appropriate educational interventions for all readers with support from school libraries or national not-for-profit organizations.
- Fostering collaboration and joint professional development opportunities for teachers, school leaders, and school librarians with a focus on using literacy resources effectively to support reading and writing, and academic achievement.
- Providing resources to support literacy-rich academic and enrichment activities and services.